There’s no argument with the fact that physical and mental well-being are increased through physical activity. Health Education Authority research has shown that physically disabled people tend to have lower levels of fitness than the able-bodied population, despite the proven health benefits.
Click here for the HEA’s list of benefits associated with improved physical fitness
Wheelchair-based exercise options – the VitaGlide™ accessible fitness machine(left), uses linear push-pull technology to work more muscle groups with an increased range of motion, giving an effective workout. Gym equipment includes accessible fixed weight machines and wheelchair treadmills (shown right).
A walking or ‘gait’ trainer helps improve weight bearing, for increased bone density and muscle bulk. The Dynamico, shown left, can be used to practice the actions of walking, or as a permanent means of moving around.
Adapted trikes (right) can make cycling possible for many people who can’t manage a traditional bicycle.
Smaller pieces of equipment – wobble boards, wedges, mats, gym balls and resistance bands – are easily portable and versatile enough to be used in a range of activities to suit the needs of many different clients.
• Reducing the risk of death through coronary heart disease
• Lowering the risk of developing high blood pressure
• Helping reduce blood pressure in some people who already have hypertension
• Lowering the risk of developing colon cancer
• Lowering the risk of developing osteoporosis
• Lowering the risk of developing diabetes
• Helping people with chronic, disabling condition improve their stamina and muscle strength
• Reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression
• Promoting a general feeling of well-being and improving mood
• Helping to control joint swelling and pain associated with arthritis
• Improving muscle tone and circulation
• Maintaining flexibility of muscles and tendons
• Nourishing joints
• Relieving pain and stiffness
• Improving control and function of bladder and bowels
For residents in nursing and care homes, it is just as important to have access to a range of physical therapy products that can produce all these positive benefits.